#10 – Two Meetings in One
Thanks to all who attended this week! We had a great turnout from both sides of the planet!
[insert rant about tokbox problems here] Yeah, I hope you’re getting used to my weekly complaint about tokbox. As you know, it can really be frustrating when so many interesting people make time to join the group and a technical issue such as delay, microphone problems, random lockups, or crashes get in the way of comfortable conversation. Unfortunately the reality is that we’re stuck with tokbox for now, since a better solution that supports multiple video windows has not been found.
I greatly appreciate everyone who takes their precious time to visit with us, and especially those who must fight the technical issues to do so.
Once the group and the software settled down we did have some interesting discussions about skeptical issues (such as what is going on in Canada with naturopaths) , science (some space questions for Nicole and a discussion on stem cell research), atheist issues (mostly humor), and geek issues (also mostly humor). The most interesting thing is we seemed to have had two meetings; the first started at 9pm and ended around 12:30 EST when many Americans went to bed, the second started shortly after that time when people from the other side of the planet joined in (cheating time travelers!) and a few night owls such as Kammy (@Procrastinatrx) and a return of Nicole (@NoisyAstronomer).
This Week’s discussions:
- How was your Thanksgiving? (if you celebrated it)
- Skepticon 2 – Missouri State University [Skepchick Videos]
- Briskepticon – Brisbane, Austrailia
- The Muppets – [The Muppets: Bohemian Rhapsody,Muppet Labs Experiment 5T832: Ghost Hunt]
- Fake Doctors With Real Drugs: The News From Canada http://bit.ly/5l5g8x
- Dr. Robert L. Park (author of Voodoo Science) talks about Superstition: Belief in the Age of Science http://bit.ly/7xVlYW
- Anniversary of the “Origin of Species” 11/24
- Christmas/Solstice/Gravmass/Festivus – how will you celebrate?
- NYT: New Stem Cell Lines Open to Research http://bit.ly/7M460o
- Superluminal motion (via NoisyAstronomer)
- Tree Lobsters!
- K.O.’s Doctor Who T-Shirts
- Apparently someone led a prayer!? Just before we enjoyed this: Christian Side Hug
- (antidote for the above: Groove is in the Heart)
- Tentacle Porn (I didn’t follow this link, so maybe you shouldn’t either: http://gloryhentai.com)
- Friendly Atheist interview w/ Ray Comfort, Westboro Baptist Church, and Don’t Feed the Troll (thanks @ZenMonkey)
- Castle and Firefly
- White house party crashing & reality shows
- I had a wonderful conversation w/ Kammy (@Procrastinatrx) about understanding religious people and the religion mindset.
- What do you think of the new logo? It was Produced by Amy Davis Roth (@SurlyAmy) of Surly-Ramics.
This Week’s Attendees:
If I’ve missed or mistaken anyone please don’t only forgive me, correct me! Send me your corrected contact information (twitter, facebook, blog url, etc.) so we can foster relationships within the skeptic community.
Brian Gregory (@briandgregory), Cary Collett (@qaphsiel), Luis Vidal (@NeuroPunk), Sarah Ann (@xtexasbelle), Terry Shull (@TerilynnS), Gold (@unifex), K.O. Myers (@GRSkeptics), Bruce Press (@brucefp), Ray Adam Smith Latiolais (@evilray), Nicole Gugliucci (@NoisyAstronomer), Cyndi Brown (@Cynraven), Myron Getman (@TheMadSkeptic), Joey Haban (@ZenMonkey), Kammy (@Procrastinatrx), Christine Bayne (@fuzztwin), Patrick Neville (@patrickneville), Martin Pribble (@martinpribble), Zach Aletheia, Peter Bowditch, Steve DeGroof (@treelobsters)
Don’t forget next VirtualDS will be next week Friday Dec 11th at 9pm EST. See you there!