#17 – Pay Per View Skeptic Fling Poo
Yes, the title of this post is an inside joke that unfortunately only those who attended can understand. Exclusionary? Definitely. If you want to be part of the Illuminati you must fill out the appropriate forms, submit your entrance fee, and then go through the proper initiation – or you can just join us next week.
Thanks to everyone who either joined us for our funny, quirky, smart, and mind blowing conversations, or that did their best to wrestle with the technology only to throw their hands up in frustration before slowly sulking to bed.
Next week’s meeting will be Friday Feb 5th at 9pm EST – Don’t miss this one or you’ll miss something great!
This Week’s Topics
- Kids, Computers, and the availability of toddler related web content (oh, and “Dora the Explorer” is a little on the annoying side: SNL TV Funhouse)
- Trying to get religious prayer in the Albany Common Council
- Anti-vax links of the week: In Lies We Trust: The CIA, Hollywood and Bioterrorism, Open Letter: Dr Rima to Forbes on “Vaccination Deniers”, Bayer Exposed ( HIV Contaminated Vaccine )
- Discussion about the upcoming Shermer-Chopra Debate and the pros/cons with these kinds of events
- DJ Grothe’s new podcast “For Good Reason“
- New idea: “Pay per view Skeptic fling poo”
- Obligatory iPad conversation and related hilarity
- Funny story of the week: “Antonia Novello and Duck Necrophilia”
- Darwin Movies: Darwin’s Darkest Hour, Creation
- Global Warming denial: The Resilient Earth
- Engineers and Creationism (mentions about NECSS 2009)
- Why isn’t the Discovery Institute dumping money into research instead of PR/Propaganda? (Reference to Maria Maltseva Skepticality episode)
- Creationism, Geology, and Uniformitarianism
- “Space is big. You just won’t believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it’s a long way down the road to the chemist’s, but that’s just peanuts to space.”
- [Real] Quantum Physics and faster than light communications.
- [Fake] Quantum Physics and “God of the Gaps” arguments
- Weebl’s Stuff
- Multiverse, String Theory, and Cosmology [Brian Greene: The universe on a string, Max Tegmark, Ned Wright’s Cosmology Tutorial]
- Skepticism, the community, demographics, women, and branding.
- The different styles of well known skeptical speakers: James Randi, Michael Shermer, DJ Grother, and others.
- Videos games, old computers, and arcades. (CS64, TRS80, TI99, Synclair,etc)
- Kernel Modules and Shocking Fish (literally)
This Week’s Attendees
Brian Gregory (@briandgregory), Sara/Seth (@DJ_Darkness), Bill Bibb (@seengallery), Myron Getman (@TheMadSkeptic), Luis Vidal (@NeuroPunk), Alex Myren (@AlexMyren), Nicole Gugliucci (@NoisyAstronomer), Bart Dorsey (@echobucket), Derek Bartholomaus (@derekcbart), Shamar Hawkins (@EscapeFromDogma), Travis Roy (@Sc00ter), Melody Hensley (@MelodyHensley), @_7654_, Brian Hart, “BlackRogueDreams”, “flair”