#18 – #Shorty is in the House
Unless you’ve been living in a hole (or a victim of the ongoing #snowmaggedon) you probably know there was lots of great things to talk about this week. On top of having a great group of regulars and a few new people (also great), all in a great mood, talking about great things, we managed to have a few nicely great surprises this week as well. Isn’t that great? (ok, I’ll stop)
Firstly, Derek Bartholomaus, who seems to be turning into a regular, joined us to talk about what’s going on with the IIG (Independent Investigations Group). They are one of the preliminary testing organizations for the JREF million dollar challenge. A few of their representatives will be on Skeptically Speaking next week about their testing of Anita Ikonen. Also, they will be testing Regen Traynor, a “telepath” on Feb 20th at 4pm PST live on ustream. Don’t miss these!
Later we had a surprise visit (well, I invited her on twitter) from none other than Dr Rachael Dunlop (@DrRachie) where we had a chance to talk briefly about her interview on Skeptically Speaking, some of the great news in skepticism this week, the shorty awards, douchebags, and ringtones (apparently).
I, for one, enjoyed talking with everyone. Thanks for spending time with us.
This week’s discussion topics:
- BIG WEEK IN SKEPTICISM: [Lancet has fully retracted the infamous Andrew Wakefield MMR-autism paper, AVN may be closing doors; Meryl Dorey stepping down, 10:23 – Homeopathy: There’s nothing in it]
- IIG to talk on Skeptically Speaking next week about their testing of Anita Ikonen
- Upcoming IIG test of Regen Traynor, a “telepath” on Feb 20th at 4pm PST
- CFI/IIG to work together setting up local testing groups – CFI/DC to be the first (If you’re interested there’s a seminar coming up with Ben Radford)
- IIG: The Billy Meier Case, Asteroid Apophis Deconstruction
- “Documenting” our lives through photo/video and the eventual downfall of privacy
- Maria Langer (@mlanger) is a helicopter pilot and is flying over this event today
- “Woo” getting thrown out of the Lion’s Den (great video!)
- NECSS and the NECSS after-tweetup!
- HAIL DJ! (Homeopathy Overdose Squad)
- Salon: The autism-vaccine lie that won’t die
- Skepticism + Luis Vidal (@NeuroPunk) + stick figures = coming soon webcomic
- Other webcomics w/ stick figures: XKCD, Abstruse Goose, Dog House Dairies, The Chalkboard Manifesto, … etc.
- YET another discussion about the iPad, netbooks, all things Apple, comparison to the Kindle, enTourage, and related.
- “Creation” movie, comparing to Darwin’s Darkest Hour, and some of the ‘odd’ things within.
- Bart Dorsey (@echobucket) and I annoyed everyone else talking about “Lost”
- Pray for Sergio
- Captain Disillusionment – TAM7 + Brown Lotto Debunk
- D.J. Grothe on the New Hosts at Point of Inquiry
- Dr Rachael Dunlop (@DrRachie) and Kylie Sturgess (@podblack) – The #shorty awards, Interview on Skeptically Speaking
- 15% discount at Surly-Ramics by way of Newly Nerfed
This week’s attendees:
Brian Gregory (@briandgregory), Derek Bartholomaus (@derekcbart), Jake Lsewhere (@NeonGreenSage), Shamar Hawkins (@EscapeFromDogma), Bastard Sheep (@bastardsheep), Maria Langer (@mlanger), Steve Thoms (@SomeCndnSkeptic), Luis Vidal (@NeuroPunk), K.O. Myers (@GRSkeptics), Bart Dorsey (@echobucket), Kelley Clark (@kelleyclark), Patrick Neville (@patrickneville), Joey Haban (@ZenMonkey), Dr Rachael Dunlop (@DrRachie), Kylie Sturgess (@podblack), Mali (@malidragon), ahmad, Joshua from Western Mass., Ben Shumway, Daphne