#24 – Big Announcement!
For those of you who didn’t make last nights chat, or showed up late, or had connection trouble, here is the big deal announcement:
VirtualDS is changing schedule! – Yes, although I’m loving every minute of this thing, whatever it is that we’ve created together, after careful reflection and the council of people whom I trust (well, some of them – not all of them) I’ve realized that it can be much better!
So here’s the deal, instead of having the chat every week, we’re moving to 2 chats a month with slightly different approaches.
“The Social Group” – This chat will be at a set time and date every month and have a very social and informal focus. This way people can put it on their schedules and plan on coming to have fun, also it’s a great place for new people to jump in and meet everyone. I’ll continue to bring ideas of things to discuss, but it will be very loosely moderated and will continue as long as necessary. Currently scheduled the first Friday of the month (next one on April 2nd – mark your calendar NOW!)
“The Discussion Group” – This chat will be later in the month and scheduled depending on a number of factors. The idea is to have a special focus for this group, tighter moderation, rules of conduct, and perhaps limited access. Some ideas so far are: get a special person of some kind to show up and talk about a topic or answer questions, schedule a special time in order to bring in people from timezones that can’t make the 9pm Eastern time slot, skeptical trivia or other organized game, or a live chat from an event like TAM. Any other suggestions are welcomed! Join the facebook group or follow @VirtualDS on twitter to get notifications of these special events.
If anyone has any questions or comments, feel free to post them below or direct them to me any way you can.
Thanks again for everyone who joined us this week.
- Introductions – I haven’t done this in a while but it really should always be the first thing we do. Normally in live groups this is done informally as a part of the normal conversation, but since the video chat only allows for 1 conversation at a time, it requires that this be done in a semi-formal fashion. This also ensure that everyone gets at least one turn to talk about whatever they want. (NOTE: If you show up late, you won’t get this benefit, sorry)
- The Role of Skeptics in the Public Forum – We started with this article [Sceptic challenges guru to kill him live on TV], then talked a bit about Daniel Loxton’s minor contoversy, and went on to talk about the recent debate at Caltech, Randi’s AWG posts, and the relationship between politics and religion in the US.
- Runaway Prius story more fiction than fact
- Woman Crashes Car While Shaving Her Privates, Woman Crashes While Shaving Bikini Line
- We believe we’ve determined that Brits can’t wink. This claim is based upon the “Blink” episode of Dr. Who; further evidence comes from “Nudge, Nudge, Wink, Wink“.
- Don’t ask us about “Snorkeling”
- Statues Seem Ready to Leap, but Police Say They Won’t
- Miley Cyrus and auto-tune
- KO is did some of his stand-up routine tonight. It was very “refreshing”.
- Teen Paralyzed After Getting H1N1 Vaccination – details in this story don’t add up according to information here [H1N1 Influenza (inactivated–flu shot) vaccine side-effects, NIH: Transverse Myelitis]
- The relationship between GBS and vaccinations and other extremely rare cases that are sensationalized in the media
- Ada Lovelace Day
- Jocasta’s Law and Edible Complex vs. Oedipal Complex
- Phenomenology 102
Brian Gregory (@briandgregory), Ray Adam Smith Latiolais (@evilray), Terry Shull (@TerilynnS), Terry Jones, Adam Bourque (@A_Damn_Bourque), Julie Ward (@AatRB), Stephen King, Zeke Russell (@bg_zeke), Tonya (@skeptonya), Timothy Iwan (@Tim3P0), K.O. Myers (@GRSkeptics), Cary Collett (@qaphsiel), Laura Lalchere (@DatasWife), Shamar Hawkins (@EscapeFromDogma), Desiree Schell (@teh_skeptic)