That’s right, “absolutely freaking skeptabulous”
By now you should know that there will be a @VirtualDS Social Group on the first Friday of every month (set your calendars so you don’t miss it!). But the only thing you know about the @VirtualDS Discussion Group is that there will be at least one a month, and they’re going to be absolutely freaking skeptabulous!
Well, the time has come to reveal the details of one of the super-double-secret plans:
“Special Guest” Discussion Groups
You’re all smart enough to have already figured out the main idea. I’m going to work my networking magic (to the best of my ability), and track down some wonderfully interesting people that have something to do with skepticism, science, rational thought, secularism, geekiness, or nerdtacity. Then, I’m going to stalk (beg) them until they agree to spend a few hours on camera answering questions, having a discussion, or just plain goofing around with us. Awesome? YES IT IS!
Of course, these chats will have to run a little differently than the regular “anything goes” drinking skeptically chats that we’ve been having. Here’s what you can expect:
- Scheduling – In order to encourage these fabulous people to come hang with us for a while, I’m going to have to make it as easy as possible on them. This means they will have some influence over the time/date their chats will take place.
- Moderation – I will be moderating these chats more heavily than the social chats. This is all about having fun and getting to know each other, but we want to give the guests priority and courtesy so that the next time we see them (possibly in real life) they won’t immediately call security.
- Promotion – These events will be scheduled as far ahead as possible, so that the news about particularly special speakers (if there are any) can get around.
- Attendance Limitations – As a result of this wider promotion, we may have to limit the number of people who can participate in each chat. Technical issues, limitations of the chat software, and general courtesy to the speakers will probably force us to limit to the number of people who can enter the chat at one time (currently 8-10 is the “sweet spot”). We may also have to cut off entrance to the chat after we get started, to minimize the risk of software malfunction.
- VIDEO ONLY – Since we’re trying to foster community relationships, and for the safety of our guests, we will require that all attendees have working video, and be willing to give their identity. Trust me, this is better for everyone and will be worth it.
- NO RECORDING – These discussion groups are a live and candid experience, and they will not be recorded. Anyone caught recording will be permanently banned.
Some of the people you may know from previous @VirtualDS chats have already agreed to future appearances, and I really feel that this will be a unique and interesting experience. I will be announcing the first few “special guests” within a week, so stay tuned!