#25 – Was that 3 hours?
When I first started the planning for the new “special guest” groups, I was a bit worried that 3 hours (out typical minimum chat length) would be a little too much to ask for some. Although last night’s chat wasn’t technically a “special guest” group, we did have a great guest who was special and except for the one time I tried to kick him out (It’s a joke people) he happily stayed for almost the entire 3 hours.
Michael Feldman (@mike_feldman) was great! He patiently braved the normal issues we have with tokbox (the problem of the day was continuous dropping of audio whenever someone arrived or left the chat) to answer questions about what it takes to run a quality skeptical organization like the NYC Skeptics. I found his comments about the dedication it takes by a core set of volunteers in order to keep a non-profit organization running to be particularly meaningful. Thanks Michael for spending time with us, and I’ll definitely buy you a tasty beverage at the first opportunity.
- Grassroots Skeptics Speakers Bureau Is Live!
- April is Autism Awareness Month. Please help raise awareness that vaccines do NOT cause autism.
- Christopher Hitchens LIVE: Hitch 22: A Memoir – June 13th in Washington DC
- NECSS is April 17th in NYC – last chance for tickets is approaching fast!
- Check the sidebar and the new Google calendar for upcoming special guests, individual announcements coming soon.
- Michael Feldman – Yes, we grilled him on the NYC Skeptics, his past, NECSS, NYC Skepticamp, other goings-on in NY, and even asked about his “favorite” skeptical topic (which he had a great answer for). He answered our questions, tolerated the tokbox problems, and played along with our discussions. It was great to meet him – THANKS a ton for spending your time with us!
- “The Big Discussion” – This month’s big discussion was “Studies and Surveys – How do you evaluate their validity?” where we talked about the various difficulties with evaluating sources of evidence, in particular the difference between (if there is one) scientific studies and surveys. The key article behind this discussion was this one and this referenced Harris study.
- Shermer/Chopra Debate, again – ‘Face-Off’: Does God Have a Future?
- Lady Gaga and the Illuminati? [JREF article]
- Sanal Edamaruku: Tantra Challenge [video]
Brian Gregory (@briandgregory), Michael Feldman (@mike_feldman), Stephen King, Adam Bourque (@A_Damn_Bourque), Christine Jenkins-Bourque, Claude Caron (@GarageRock), Jake Lsewhere (@NeonGreenSage), Julie Ward (@AatRB), K.O. Myers (@GRSkeptics), Tonya (@skeptonya), Mark Iocchelli (@40yroldatheist), Bart Dorsey (@echobucket), Heidi Anderson (@heidianderson), Bruce Press (@brucefp)