#28 – Local Skeptic Groups and the Goatman of Maryland
It was a short session last night; we only talked for a little over two hours. I’m sorry to those who showed up later and didn’t make it in (including Mark Iocchelli’s promised return after joining us initially). Even in that short amount of time (well, for a chat) we did manage to cover quite a bit of ground.
Thanks to all who came to hang out and talk.
“The Big Discussion” – This week’s discussion was about local skeptical groups, who’s got them, who’s starting them, and what we can do to get involved or get one started.
I talked about being involved w/ the National Capitol Area Skeptics (a volunteer group in Washington DC) and in contrast the Center for Inquiry DC (a branch of the professional non-profit organization). Also, I discussed what it’s like to run the Drinking Skeptically group in Baltimore (sponsored by the CFI), and my attempts to get the organizing moving for SkeptiCamp DC.
Nicole Gugliucc talked a bit about The C-ville Skeptics Group and some of the difficulty with organizing groups.
Adam Bourque talked about Skeptic’s in the Pub and CFI in Detroit.
- The Goatman of Maryland, The Blair Witch, and other lovely monster myths related to my home state. (Thank to Skeptically Speaking’s guests for getting us in a monster kind of mood)
- Wait, wait … don’t tell me – the boobquake episode
- Good news! K.O. may have a place to live!
- Be on the lookout for a Diabetes “Speaking Up” segment on Skeptically Speaking by Mark Iocchelli (@40yroldatheist)
- Divorce parties
- IIG-DC and ideas for investigations, plus a little discussion about what IIG West has done.
- George Rekers [Alpha Dog of the Week] and “lifting my luggage“
- Thurmon Scrivner [click at your own risk] and nice hair
- Dark Skies Bright Kids
- Telescopes, Astronomy, and Google Sky Map
- w00tstock in Seattle, WA
- $150 TV Ads on Fox News
Brian Gregory (@briandgregory), Dan Buzzard (@DanBuzzard), Adam Bourque (@A_Damn_Bourque), Ray Adam Smith Latiolais (@evilray), K.O. Myers (@GRSkeptics), Mark Iocchelli (@40yroldatheist), “Benevolent Contrarian”, Nathan Hinman (@northernskeptic), Nicole Gugliucci (@NoisyAstronomer), David Naughton (@nihiliad), Myron Getman (@TheMadSkeptic)