#29 – Are you skepti-curious? (Derek and Swoopy FTW!)
What can I say about Derek and Swoopy after meeting them for the first time? Yes, they ARE full of awesome. Not only do each of them exude intelligence and personality of their own unique kind, together they are simultaneously fascinating and entertaining.
Probably due to the fact that they have been behind microphones for most of the last 5 years, they had no problem being comfortable with the video chat atmosphere. This had the added effect of making the 16-20 people that were on the video chat just as comfortable and willing to jump right into the conversation (and silliness). Any pretense of formality was lost in the first few minutes – which was GREAT!
Conversation and fun were truly king for this installment of VirtualDS, so we wandered around topics at the whim of the guests and the group. The main group lasted ~4 hours without noticing the length (I usually cut it off at 3) and a few hardcore folks continued the conversation until early morning.
Thanks to everyone who spent time with us and especially Derek and Swoopy for their time and for being who they are. The chat is only as good as the people who are on it, so YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!
Topics o’ plenty:
- Skepticality Fight Night
- Dragon*con Costumes
- Weeping Angels and Bats (and Maria Walters)
- Google Pacman
- “Derek’s Mom is Hot”
- Parrot Ghosts
- SCIENCE! (of course)
- Tokbox and power mac = FAIL
- Dragon*con Skeptrack ustream on iphone & android
- Westboro Baptist Church counter-protest in Atlanta
- SkeptiCamp Atlanta (~65 people)
- Skepticality downloads (~150k per episode) and the switch to Libsyn
- Ben Radford’s “Scientific Paranormal Investigation” book and the class (to be at Dragon*con)
- The relationship of the podcast and Skeptic Magazine – They were invited in Aug 2006, very little oversight (none really needed)
- Daniel Loxton kicks ass!
- Geologic Podcast Episode 82 in which Kylie Sturgess swears
- All agreed accents + swearing = way cute
- Dragon*con + Kylie + George = trouble (w/ Richard even worse)
- Derek showed his origami deer (or perhaps caribou?)
- Video parody of Richard Saunder’s oragami video
- More awesome Skepticality episodes: #109 Dave Cullen – Columbine, #23 George Hrab, #127 Sarah Mayhew – Skeptical Anime, #130 Artichokes, #115 Absinthe, and pretty much any episode w/ Bob Carol
- Awesome debunkers/skeptics that reach people on the outside (ex. Bad Astronomer, Captain Disillusionment, etc)
- Alex Jones pisses us off
- Princess Diana breading w/ Bill Clinton
- David Icke and Lizard People
- IIG Atlanta! (w/o CIF?)
- Teddy Scares
- Daniel Loxton – “What do I do next?”
- Rifftrax and Cinematic Titanic
- Women and Skepticism panel at Dragon*con
- How to inspire young skeptics.
- The role of “ridicule” in the promotion of skeptical thinking (a discussion of “Draw Mohammad Day”, “South Park”, “Boobquake”, etc)
- Female drag queens
- Are you skepti-curious?
- At least 6 sonic screwdrivers on video chat at once! (yes, we are such nerds)
- The POTS call-in feature of tokbox sucks.
Derek Colanduno (@dcolanduno), Robynn “Swoopy” McCarthy (@Swoopy), Brian Gregory (@briandgregory), Adam Bourque (@A_Damn_Bourque), Bart Dorsey (@echobucket), Benevolent Contrarian (Mark), Ginger Pomiecko (@Ginger_P), Jarrett Kaufman (@TurboFool), Jason Guilford, Nicole Gugliucci (@NoisyAstronomer), Kylie Sturgess (@podblack), Sheryl Westleigh(@Noadi), Michael Cornett (@Vagrarian), Dan Buzzard (@DanBuzzard), Brian Gefrich (@notasenator), Heidi Anderson (@heidianderson), Ray Valenti (@rvalenti), Reed Esau (@reedes), Derek Bartholomaus (@derekcbart), Brian Hart, Mick Green (@dreadpiratemick), Sean the Blogonaut (@SeandBlogonaut), Joshua Hunt (@Josh2085)