#33 – Technology sucks, but we love it anyway
As part of my uncontrolled excitement about going to my first TAM, and in preparation for the Thursday night special event, I inflicted a bit of pain and suffering on the chat group last night. Fortunately, I didn’t interfere too much with the discussion and due to a great turnout we managed to have 3 hours of great chat.
As usual, THANK YOU to everyone who jacked in – the chat is only as good as the group that shows up.
- It appears from Jeff Wagg’s tweets (@JeffWagg) suggest that there might be some kind of streaming going on at TAM after all. (For anyone that MUST have internet at TAM, please check this out: 4g4rent.com)
- I did a system test for the new mobile chat rig with limited success. It looks like the mini-computer is having a hard time keeping up with tokbox (flash is a really heavy app) – this isn’t surprising, and I have other options. One way or another there will be something going on Thursday evening, either a ustream or a video chat – we’ll see.
- Ben Radford was interviewed on Skeptically Speaking this evening. Don’t forget to check out his book and his upcoming class at Dragon*con.
- Apparently I’m going to be blogging, with other skeptics around Washington DC. The site is here: thinking-critically.com (The video chat group suggested that I register dumbass-blogger.com)
- Beards – cheaper than scarves.
- July 2nd – This day in skepticism [1946 – Peter Poppoff’s birthday, 1947 – First sighting claimed in the Roswell UFO incident, 1566 – Nostradamus died]
- “Dog Days” of summer
- Mormonism [South Park, Atheists.org/Mormonism] and the Book of Abraham
- Scientology [video: Harlan Ellison & Robin Williams discuss LRH]
- Baylor University Study about Atheism and crazy beliefs. [Baylor Survey Finds New Perspectives On U.S. Religious Landscape]
- Fast food myths, portion sizes, and Penn & Teller’s BS.
- Christopher Hitchens [In case you didn’t know he has cancer] and Mother Teresa
- Dr. Leonard Horowitz and the “fun” of conspiracy theories
- Fair Use on youtube and DMCA counterclaims
- George Hrab’s Sylvia Brown skit at NECSS
- pareidolia and apophenia
- The iPhone 4 problems leading to superstitious behavior to improve reception.
- Poor Skepticism: Whooping cough deaths in California and the assumption of cause.
- IVF prayer study [Exposed: conman’s role in prayer-power IVF ‘miracle’]
- Having trouble keeping up with the crowd on the JREF forums? Why not go over to the MISkeptics forums and help jump-start the group?
- The lolcat bible [available on kindle]
- The Kin is Dead [it was lame anyway]
- Woot! acquired by Amazon [monkey rap video redacted]
- Social media sucks, social media rocks!
- Global Warming “skepticism” [Skeptical Science, Crazy Guy, Scientific expertise lacking among ‘doubters’ of climate change]
Brian Gregory (@briandgregory), Adam Bourque (@A_Damn_Bourque), Benevolent Contrarian (Mark), Nathan Hinman (@northernskeptic), Paula Struz, Skeptic Cat (@skepticcat), Stephen King, Tom Cookson (@MeanQuestion), K.O. Myers (@GRSkeptics), Reno Skeptics (@RenoSkeptics), JD Mack, Sharon Hill (@IDoubtIt), Mike McElroy, Travis Di, Patrick Fisher, Bart Dorsey (@echobucket), Desiree Schell (@teh_skeptic), David Price (@crocofish)