#35 – We Love Heidi
In a perfect world we wouldn’t have to do this. We would have to try and squeeze the personality and warmth of wonderful people like Heidi through a tiny camera, compressed into ones and zeros, and forced through network switches just to have a pleasant conversation on a Friday night. Those who managed to get into the over-packed video chat room know, we are not living in a perfect world. That’s right, tokbox gave us problems again.
Despite the problems, we did spend a little over an hour talking with Heidi about the same topic most people feel comfortable talking to her about: Sex. I have to admit, even I overcame my embarrassment and told a little bit about my sexual past. There’s just something about her that makes you comfortable, even with the most embarrassing subjects – just ask James Randi or Richard Dawkins (they attended her sexuality talk at TAM and like so many, learned quite a bit about usually taboo subjects).
I, for one, never get enough Heidi. It’s not because she’s a personality, or that she is talented, intelligent, and beautiful. But, it’s because she is one of the most genuine people that I know.
Thank you Heidi for sticking it out through the problems, and thanks to everyone who attended – especially those who couldn’t initially get in, set up an overflow chat room, and then joined us later.
- Apparently Joshua Hunt can sing, or tries to.
- Constant Tokbox audio problems (Sorry Heidi – I’d love to have a chance to help fix these)
- Camp Quest Songs (pub songs, turned hymns, turned secular songs)
- TAM Podcast Recap – A number of podcasters convened together the first day of TAM to discuss what they considered to be the major issues within the Skeptic community. Apprently they had a wonderful discussion, on point with Phil Plait’s talk at TAM, the day before his talk. Some of the attendees were Heidi Anderson, Desiree Schell, Barbara Drescher, Daniel Loxton, Aubrey de Grey, Robynn McCarthy (Swoopy), Blake Smith, Brian Hart, Derek Bartholomous, Sharron Hill, Joey Haban, Mike Meraz, Jenna Marie Griffith, many others…
- Heidi described what is was like to talk about the issues of anal sex in front of James Randi and Richard Dawkins
- The amazing “open” culture of TAM
- Pubic hair appreciation, large 80’s breasts, and how new technology is always applied to sex
- Bonobo Handshake
- Comic book female character proportions
- Print porn airbrushing and photoshop influencing labia surgery industry in Australia
- Other horrible cosmetic surgery: leg breaking to increase height
- Overheard on the chat: “triple labia”
- Angry Vagina Craft Time at TAM – a funny story that you missed because you weren’t on the chat
- Overheard on the chat: “I don’t smoke pot so I haven’t seen the vagina”
- Something about beef fat in Twinkies, therefore they aren’t vegetarian (Someone please refresh my memory about this apparently funny story)
- Heidi: Sexual Assault Support born out of the feminists in the 70’s that took victims into their homes.
- Heidi: The “shunned” idea (within the rape support/prevention community) that there is an ideal age to become a sexual assault victim.
- Teaching communication between partners about sex expectations and issues – problems due to cultural sexual taboos
- A discussion of the existence of child molestation and rape jokes – Louis C. K. and the “most offensive joke”
- “Fags” on Southpark
- Heidi: Sex should be about pleasure.
- Talking to children about sex – be ready, they will find it before you will know about it thanks to the internet.
- IMVU – parents be aware of this “fantasy” dating site.
- Heidi: Don’t force your kids to view sex a certain way, let them develop their own way.
- Teen pregnancy and “teen boys shooting blanks” – Heidi apparently has “no experience analyzing teen seamen”
- Heidi: Rule of thumb for determining minimum partner age = Half your age + 7
- Heidi will be in San Fransisco next week, and then Los Angeles August 2nd or 3rd (The Greater L.A. Skeptics)
After Heidi’s audio problems became too great:
- “Fossil Penis” and the difference between human and other primate penis. (Apparently some have a bone)
- TAM Stories [Brian Keith Dalton (Mr. Deity), Jim Gardner at the registration desk, Bacon divorce party, Party Costume review]
- Vogon Poetry
- Tonya and the Sad Dune
- “TAM: For the Ladies?” – Ashley Fumler
- What’s up with Mark Edward and Anita Ikonen?
- Heated debate over whether or not alcoholism is a disease.
Heidi Anderson (@heidianderson), Brian Gregory (@briandgregory), Elliot Birch (@skelliot), Ginger Pomiecko (@Ginger_P), Kammy (@Procrastinatrx), Steve DeGroof (@treelobsters), Travis Dick, Brian Thompson (@AmSci), Joshua Hunt (@Josh2085), Benevolent Contrarian, J.D. Mack, Pickle Pumpers (@picklepumpers), Paul Fidalgo (@PaulFidalgo), Chris Lindsay (@ChrisLindsay9), Patrick Fisher, Shannon Rankin (@skeptiwife), Barbara Drescher (@badrescher), Skeptic Cat (@skepticcat), Ryan Jean, Sharon Hill (@IDoubtIt), K.O. Myers (@GRSkeptics), Myron Getman (@TheMadSkeptic), Rick Gibson (@ricklesgibson), Jareth Arnold (@maeamian), Desiree Schell (@teh_skeptic), David Price (@crocofish), Adam Bourque (@A_Damn_Bourque), Richard Murray (@xinit0), Derek Bartholomaus (@derekcbart), Maria Langer (@mlanger), Kylie Sturgess (@podblack), Terry Shull (@TerilynnS)
Coming soon: Fund raising and Affiliate program!