#37 – In which we discuss guns, sex, and bad words
Thanks to everyone that came out to a very fun Friday nerd-fest, although we didn’t spend too much time talking about various nerd topics. Most of the time we spent in deep conversation about hard topics, like; How fast can I clean a twelve gauge shotgun? Why you shouldn’t use cheap lube with condoms? What flavors of pudding are best for nude wrestling? and What non-words do people use that make us want to throttle them? (well, I guess that last one is kinda nerdy)
Did you miss it? Sorry, that’s too bad, but don’t worry! Join us for one of our special guest chats later in the month, or come back next month for the free-for-all Social Group.
- Don’t get enough video chat discussion or can’t make Friday nights? Make sure you check out the Cleveland Skeptics’ Freethought Matrix. These guys are hard code and chat every Wednesday night.
- Are you a skeptic group organizer and you’re coming to Dragon*con? Come join us for the “Networking Skeptically” organizer lunch
- Anyone in the Washington DC area, make sure to put Sunday, Oct 3rd on your calendar for Skepticamp DC. (More details will materialize as we get closer to the event)
- VirtualDS 1 Year Anniversary Extravaganza, September 25th – This will be a special event discussion panel on the state of online skeptical activism. Panelists include: Desiree Schell, Derek & Swoopy, Tim Farley, Reed Esau, Travis Roy, and K.O. Myers
- Upcoming Special Guests: Nicole Gugliucci – Aug 20th and Blake Smith – Aug 27th
This Week’s Discussion Topics:
- Lost pets, essentialism, Bruce Hood at TAM, and the Woman that made a tattoo from her dead son’s ashes
- Louis C. K.
- Short discussion of Nathan’s potential Tattoo
- Easily removable tattoos, made from ink that disappears when given the appropriate electric pulse. (I couldn’t find a link for this one)
- No Phil Plait at Dragon*con
- Heidi, California, and Fish Tacos
- “Vulva, Vulva, Vulva!”, Irregardless, “Shrimping”, “Clipping”, and “Pegging”
- The various definitions of the slang expression “Face Time” (Apparently this is now a feature of the iPhone)
- November Shuttle Launch – Nov 1-2 – Rick Gibson organizing
- School is starting soon – already!?
- Brian Thompson’s Jacket – wooden buttons and freakishly short arms (his words)
- Nicole: new internet rumor, Brian Thompson is a velociraptor
- Rick Gibson described visiting David Copperfield’s private collection in Las Vegas during TAM (Highlights: Chris Kenner, warehouse near the mirage, David Seth Kotkin, Pull down on the green necktie, Amazon Women mummies, Alexander “The Man Who Knows”, Collection of Houdini papers)
- Nathan and his creamsicle
- The Education of Shelby Knox – (use of condoms in the classroom) – abstinence only education
- Screech Sex Tape (thanks Brian Thompson)
- David Attenborough – State of the Planet
- Christian’s Childrens Fund
- Peter Singer – The Life You Can Save
- TED talk about monkeys and money? Laurie Santos: How monkeys mirror human irrationality
- Guns, Houkas, Ammunition, and Politics – oh boy. – “When I was buying some ammunition the other day” (shotgun on camera)
- Royal Canadian Navy – 1945 was the 3rd largest navy
Nuclear Bombs, what to do, and what kind of x-men power would you have?
- Cheez-it duos
- Chocolate pudding IS NOT SEXY! – Naked pudding wrestling and how Nicole needed flavor clarification.
- MUFON conference in Philly in October
- Alain Nu – Mentalism, Pendulums, and Earthquakes
This Week’s Attendees:
Brian Gregory (@briandgregory), David Price (@crocofish), Jamye Johnston (@jamyej), Nathan Hinman (@northernskeptic), Nicole Gugliucci (@NoisyAstronomer), Rick Gibson (@ricklesgibson), Ryan Jean, Stephen King (@jstephenking), Jake Lsewhere, Heidi Anderson (@heidianderson), Brian Thompson (@AmSci), Sean Sullivan, Tana Owens, Patrick Fisher (@cdnfish), Shamar Hawkins (@EscapeFromDogma)