#42 – Privacy, Bullying, Gender Identity, and other light topics
In all the commotion leading up to SkeptiCamp DC, I didn’t get much time to blog about last Friday’s video chat. So here’s my attempt to summarize what little I can remember about it, 3 days later, dehydrated, tired, and distracted.
This chat was an interesting mix of new and old, especially so, because a few people that have been on before, had greater opportunity to speak. Since the video chat forces everyone to participate in the a single conversation, the “feel” is different every time depending upon who shows up, and I always feel bad when I haven’t done a good enough job balancing those who are very comfortable with speaking out, and those that have much to say, but feel like they are being stomped upon by the louder ones.
The majority of the discussion centered around Tyler Clementi, the Rutgers student that committed suicide after his roommate broadcast his sexual encounters on the internet. The conversation spanned many topics that none of us were experts on, but discussed anyway, such as privacy, the internet, gay teen bullying, Dan Savage, suicide, gender identity, and general sexuality. I found the conversation interesting enough that I may transcribe it and publish it in the blog (although I would get proper permission, and make sure the speakers are properly anonymous).
Thanks to everyone that was on the video chat, enduring my rambling, stuttering, and the usual tokbox pain.
- Tokbox is a virus (don’t think it isn’t!)
- Mac < PC
- Movie Trailer Voice Auditions – Donald Leroy “Don” LaFontaine
- Word Jazz
- Skeptically Speaking – Daniel Levintin “This is Your Brain on Music” and the Stones reference drinking game
- VirtualDS Theme song proposals
- A little Dragon*con recap
- Phil Plait retweet – Rick Gibson’s lottery link
- “For Christ’s Sake”
- SkeptiCamp DC
- CFI Class Plug – Freethinkers: A History of America – Suzan Jacoby
- Evolving Darwin Playset
- Kindle vs. lame book readers.
- Daily Show/Colbert Rally in DC
- CoR and Billboard Campaigns
- Drunken Skeptics Podcast
- Richard Dawkins & Neil DeGrasse Tyson at Howard University
- Jehovah’s Witness http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jehovah’s_Witnesses
- TMBG Washington DC Show
- Tyler Clementi [Tyler Clementi Suicide: Twin Vigils Held for Rutgers Student, Tyler Clementi’s Suicide and What Dan Savage Is Doing About It, Rutgers Suicide: Sex Columnist’s Simplistic Solution]
- Recording laws public/private
- Nicole’s new haircut
- Capricorn One/Moon Hoax Myth busters movie night – FTW!
- Dark Skies/Bright Kids
- Clearly Brian knows very little about geography
- TAM9 and JREF announcements – Jeff Wagg and Karen Stolznow are now JREF research fellows
- Fetishes (not what you think) and Dead Beavers
- National group cooperation (JREF,Skeptic,CFI,etc)
- Joe Satriani -> Mike Keneally -> Matthew Baxter -> Karen Stollznow
- 3D and defraction glasses
- Sean Faircloth at Boston Skeptics
- Marian Call show in VA and MD this week
- The problem with determining what kind of looks you are getting at your t-shirts, and the difference for males and females. (An instructional guide)
- Kylie Sturgess at QED and Dragon*con next year
- George Hrab in Dallas next weekend, Vancouver in Nov, and then TAM OZ